Over 100 years of Tradition
The Chocolate of Italian King Family
Founded in 1915, Peyrano is a family business manufacturing chocolate, fruit jellies and confectionery. The founder, Antonio Peyrano, fond of chemistry and desserts, opened a small workshop in Corso Moncalieri, Turin, where the factory still stands today. Together with his sisters, Lucia and Giovanna, he began to produce a fine chocolate, starting from the cocoa beans, and this quickly captured the attention of the upper classes at the time. From 1920, Peyrano’s products began to be regularly supplied to the Italian Royal Family and to the King of Italy’s entourage. In the early 30s, Angiola Peyrano modernised the equipment, and the workshop turned into a small factory, capable of producing around two tons of chocolate per year. Activity slowed during World War Two due to a shortage of raw materials, but although the factory was repeatedly touched by American bombs, it miraculously remained standing. Every day, with tenacity and a sense of duty, the owners cycled to the city from the countryside, where they had been forced to retreat to, in order to keep the factory open and continue production. After the war, in the 50s, Italy experienced a period of strong economic growth. Peyrano seized this opportunity, rearranged itself, and organized a network of representatives to increase sales without any deviation from the standard of quality that has always been fundamental to them. Production rose rapidly, to more than seven tons of chocolate per year, bringing a sense of rebirth to the homes of an expanding middle class.